Thursday 5 October 2017

Picture Day

I managed to haul my butt out of bed on Wednesday during daylight hours, mostly with the purpose of heading out to the barn to remove blankets from the ponies. The weather has changed again - we had snow a couple of days ago, and now we are back up in the mid-teens again. So they can go back to being nekkid.

I took the good camera out with me to take some pictures. I just grabbed the camera bag as I ran out the door without checking the contents. I popped Cisco in the arena and went to get my camera - wrong lens. I only had lenses that would work outdoors. (I haven't had much luck with anything but my 50mm 1.4 lens in the arena.)

So outside pics it was. I was out at dinner time, which means that almost every picture has a horse with a mouth full of hay.

My two were sharing their hay pile, so I took a lot of pics in an attempt to get a good one with both of them in the same shot. You know how hard it is to get a pic with your horse's ears forward and their eyes open? Yeah, well, try to get two horses with perky ears and open eyes at the same time. There were a lot of pictures like this:
One head up, one head down.

Eyes squished shut.

I like to catch moments that show horses being horses.
A little drool in the water trough never hurt anyone.

Neat things I captured:
I like the shadow of his head on his neck.
Phantom's chestnut. I foresee trying to get a macro shot of it in the future.
Static!

And, of course, the blooper reel.
I wish I hadn't cut her nose off. Her expression would have been great.
I kind of like this - the blurriness makes it look all artistic.
She shook her head and something weird happened to her ears!

4 comments:

  1. haha I love the blooper reel! I think very light horses and very dark horses are hard to shoot because of the lighting. My favorite to shoot are bays because you can get some amazing definition and shadows naturally. It's definitely not easy to shoot a moving target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black horses are nightmares to shoot!
      I had some interesting shadows to work with due to the location of the sun, but someone kept getting in my way when I would find a potentially good view.

      Delete